Friday, May 30, 2008

Tagging - Thing 18

Yes, I know, I skipped thing 17. It is blocked here at school and I have time to do a thing now. I have had a deli.cio.us account for several years. As a librarian, with an actual MLIS degree and many years of cataloguing experience, I'm actually a trained professional in catagorization. When I look at my tags, I'm shocked and appalled with myself! I have done a horrible job of using the same tag to group similar websites. I know the importance of controlled vocabulary, yet I didn't control mine.
On the up side, even though I find it to be a mess, it still works. I have all sorts of interesting things available to me on any computer with Internet. I find my tag cloud reflects my interests quite well. And my professional use websites are easily shared with others in my department by tag to communicate a point. This is very important when your peers are in different locations. My take is that tags are useful, even when badly done. Imagine how useful they would be if I really did them well.

No comments: